Learn How to De-Escalate Violence Without the Use of Force
Learning how to de-escalate violence without the use of force is an essential law enforcement skill. Without the ability to connect with snd calm angry people down quickly and effectively, the conflict escalates rapidly out of control. While there are many methods to deescalate violence, one method has a proven neuroscientific foundation. It has been effectively used in maximum-security prisons to stop riots and inmate violence.
How to De-Escalate Violence
De-Escalating violence without the use of force is a skill comprised of two elements:
- The ability to ignore the words, focus on emotions and reflect those emotions back
- The ability to problem-solve specific issues once calm is restored
These skills must be learned, practiced, and honed to be mastered.
Research shows that learning how to de-escalate violence without the use of force will not come from a one-off workshop. In fact, professional development workshops have an abysmal record at changing professional practices and improving student achievement.
Doug Noll offers a live and virtual (online) curriculum that includes three four hour lessons in the principles and practice of non-violent conflict de-escalation, followed by weekly small group or individual coaching sessions. Over a 10 week period, participants begin to master the skills and change the way they see their educational environment.
How To De-Escalate Violence without the Use of Force is based on the award-winning Prison of Peace project.
- The somatic, cognitive, and neurophysiologic components of emotion
- The concept of emotional categorization and its opposite, alexithymia
- Understanding the six needs of victims
- Understanding the emotions behind aggressive behavior
- Using de escalation as a crisis prevention strategy (cpi)
- The four levels of reflective listening and why three types of reflection will usually make things worse
- The skill of affect labeling to de-escalate strong emotions
- The skill of core messaging
- The skill of results-based listening
- The skill of making accountable agreements
- Teaching the skills forward
Each course is tailored to the needs of the client organization. POST approval can be obtained at agency request.